Document “Integrating the Western Balkans – Completing Future Europe” represents a set of recommendations by Serbian think tanks and civil society organizations specialized in European integration on how to effectively improve the EU enlargement framework. It is based on experience in monitoring, analyzing and participating in the EU accession process of Serbia and other Western Balkan countries. The recommendations are aimed at improving the effectiveness of the EU integration process of Western Balkan countries and reconfirming the sustainable and tangible EU perspective of the region. It should be emphasized, however, that no methodology can replace existence (or lack) of political will on both sides.
It is not entirely clear whether the expected reform will also apply to countries already involved in EU accession negotiations, Montenegro and Serbia. Having in mind that the lack of implementation of key reforms in these two countries is perhaps the best argument for inadequacy of the current accession mechanism, our proposals are designed for all Western Balkans countries.
Think tanks and civil society organizations from Serbia, who submitted recommendations, are:
- Belgrade Center for Security Policy (BCSP)
- Belgrade Fund for Political Excellence (BFPE)
- Center for Contemporary Politics (CSP)
- Center for European Policies (CEP)
- International and Security Affairs Centre (ISAC)
- European Movement in Serbia (EMinS)
- Lawyers’ Committee for Human Rights (YUCOM)