- This event has passed.
INVITATION: Expert discussion “Life-prison without the possibility of parole: Implications in theory and practice”
November 12 @ 10:00 - 14:00
On behalf of the Lawyers’ Committee for Human Rights and Belgrade Centre for Human Rights, it is our honor and great pleasure to invite you to the expert discussion Life-prison without the possibility of parole: Implications in theory and practice”, which will be organized in the Hotel Saint Ten in Belgrade, on November 12, 2019 at 10AM, with the support of the UN Human Rights Team in Serbia and the Council of Europe Office in Belgrade.
Life imprisonment sentence was recently re-introduced through the amendments to the Criminal Code in the Republic of Serbia, also without a possibility of parole for what the legislator sees as the gravest of criminal acts. The amendments to the Criminal Law are to enter into force early December. The present expert discussion is organized with an aim to discuss and provide thoughts around the following main points:
- What is the position of the life prison without parole (LWOP) sentence in modern days and across the landscape?
- What are and might be implications of LWOP to human rights, dignity and life of individuals sentenced, especially in the context of universal and regional human rights commitments?
- Are there any points to justify LWOP in contemporary legal systems and how they correlate with criminal legal and judicial policies and practices?
- What are the legal, social and human rights-driven arguments that oppose life imprisonment and LWOP?
- What are potential consequences and scenarios ahead?
This expert discussion will gather experts from the Council of Europe and the European Court of Human Rights, UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights – OHCHR, international and national non-governmental organizations, the judiciary and the academia.
Please find enclosed draft agenda and if you recognize the topic as the focus of your work, we invite you to send us confirmation of your attendance and to be an active participant in the discussion.