In the period between July 1 and December 31 2008, Lawyers’ Committee for Human Rights carried out the project CAMPAIGN TO PROMOTE UN DECLARATION ON HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS IN SERBIA, with the aim to:
– adopt the Declaration as binding national legislation,
– raise the level of political culture through expert and public debates, propaganda in the media and training courses organized in cooperation with local and international experts, and
– enable creating an atmosphere of understanding the necessity of work of human rights activists and groups, particularly those dealing with problems of confronting the past.
The campaign’s methodology designed by the YUCOM expert team in early July was based on:
– use of international mechanisms for the protection and promotion of human rights (both universal, by means of the Universal Periodic Review before the Human Rights Council, and regional, before the Council of Europe;
– training of nongovernmental organizations for the possibilities of using the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders;
– raising the politicians’ awareness about the importance of the UN Declaration on Human Rights;
– citing provisions of the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders while providing legal aid to attacked human rights defenders;
– raising awareness of state organs about the necessity of protecting human rights defenders as an element contained in the Declaration.
Download: Full Report on the implementation of the Project: CAMPAIGN TO PROMOTE UN DECLARATION ON HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS IN SERBIA